Step 1: Calculate Your Calories and Macros
Why aren't we calculating ONLY calories if that's what determines weight loss/gain?
Why follow macros rather than calories?
- Calories are responsible for the number on the scale (i.e., weight loss).
- Macros are responsible for how you end up looking (i.e., fat loss and muscle gain or maintenance).
If you ONLY track calories, and not macros, you risk losing a lot of muscle mass and risk looking WORSE than when you started.
This is called the Skinny Fat physique and trust me, you don't want that.
That being said, if you remember from the last lesson, macros have their own calorie per-gram make-up.
Therefore, by tracking macros, you are also tracking calories.
A Quick Rundown On Each Macro:
- Help with energy for everyday activities, including exercise and recovery.
- Helps with muscle loss prevention or muscle gain (still possible while in a deficit for some people).
- Help with balanced hormonal function, among other things.
There are a lot more that each macro does for you, but this is a sort of cliff notes and all you need to know.
Let's go ahead and calculate yours.
I've created this free calculator that you can use.
Seriously, click on the boxes below and input your numbers.
It'll give you your calories and macros based on your preferences.
It'll also give you your macros per meal.
Don't worry if it doesn't make sense yet.
We're going to go over these numbers in the upcoming lessons.
You can change always change and update it later.